Sunday, September 2, 2012

A CATCH!


It’s been a dozen years since I visited the village of Fort Langley.  In fact, I’d forgotten that the bookstore/café where I’d suggested we meet for tonight’s date was a place I’d gone to before.  (I wanted to go after discovering a site that recommended some unique coffeehouses in the Vancouver area.) I arrived early, browsed the books and then ordered a latte and a bowl of cobbler and had a seat.  Through the window, I saw an attractive, clean-cut man standing at the street corner.  He looked expectantly down the intersecting sidewalks.  Was this the man whose profile I viewed online?  Not possible.


He moved down one of the sidewalks, still gazing about.  If by chance he was my date, I didn’t want some passing stranger picking him up so I stepped out and approached. 

Javier? 

Javier!

I sat back down while he ordered.  It allowed me to check him out.  (Thanks to the lady ahead of him who had a slew of questions about filtered water!)  Javier wore casual, conservative summer gear, freshly ironed.  The garb flattered his trim build. 

He joined me with his own bowl of cobbler.  Considering the extensive menu, the chances of us choosing the same item for noshing seemed remote.  A sign?  Kismet?  Serendipity?  Nah.  I don’t go there anymore. 

We chatted about our jobs and online experiences for almost an hour.  He spoke refreshingly candidly.  His comments weren’t calculated to make a positive first impression.  This was a real human talking, perfectly comfortable with himself.  He also came off as a soft spoken gentleman.  Javier was quite the catch!

I asked if he wanted to go for a walk and he welcomed the opportunity to extend the conversation.  I felt completely relaxed with him, even confident.  After all, he’d messaged me.  I am worthy!

What a wonderful beginning...

But that was only the first half of the date.  Let’s just savor that before I post anything more.

2 comments:

Rick Modien said...

RG, you can't even begin to imagine how much I'm tingling with excitement over what you've shared with us here. I'm utterly thrilled for you. You so deserve this.
I can't wait for the next instalment.
Wow!
WOW!
That's all I have to say.
WOW!

Rick Modien said...

Okay, RG, so I've had some time to think about what you wrote, here and in a previous comment about how this date went. You used the word "complicated." Then you wrote in this post that you wanted to savor what happened during the first half of your date with Javier before writing about the second half.
We're being set up here, aren't we? The oh-so-promising start didn't pan out, did it?
Did I fall in a trap (as evidenced by my excited and glowing comment here)? I have to say, I hope not. But...