Monday, July 27, 2009

OUT 7 HOURS FOR A CUP OF COFFEE—WORTH IT?

http://www.coffeehousemystery.com/UserFiles/Image/CoffeeWithHeart(1).jpg

Being a single gay man, my move to a rural area a ferry ride away from civilization might not have been my smartest idea. Wasn’t interested in dating back then; didn’t have the foresight to think things might change.

I rely on an Internet dating site as my only shot at connecting with other SGMs. No, not gay.com or Manhunt. Both seemed sleazy. They serve a purpose, no doubt. Just not what I’m looking for.

As with everything, Internet dating is a crapshoot. And my location is a definite handicap. Last week a hot guy fifteen years younger than me sent me a series of messages. My age turned out not to be a factor. Where I live? A dating death sentence. (Hey, I get it. When I was under thirty, living outside of a city seemed unfathomable, too.)

I went for coffee today with a guy only two years younger. The time together was an hour and a half. Very promising start. Of course, I left home at 10:30 in the morning and didn’t get back until 5:30 at night. I did no errands, I swear. Just coffee talk. (Oh, Mike Myers, I miss the funny you!)

http://oybay.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

Times ticks by when you’re dependent on ferry and bus schedules. (Driving wouldn’t have saved me any time. I’d just have had a longer wait at the terminal on the return trip and, in fact, I would have had to arrive at the terminal in the morning earlier in order to get a spot.)

Was it worth it? You betcha! Nice guy. There’s potential. Can I continue with this skewed reality? Not so sure.

No comments: