Tuesday, September 7, 2021

ABOUT THAT "COFFEE"


Just a quick update on that awkward new friendship that’s been brewing in my building, the one with that married guy who seems to drop many hints about being queer and possibly interested in me…

 

We went for that coffee on Friday. And it was just coffee—cappuccino for him, iced decaf oat milk latte for me. It was a good thing when I began worrying more about the barista understanding my order than about Damien’s agenda.  

 

I decided to stop being so passive. I don’t mean I was direct or anything; rather I was less passive. I’d feared he’d text me Friday morning with a “Hey, I just brewed a fresh pot. Why don’t you just pop by?” To avoid that possibility, I texted him on Tuesday: “What time do you want to grab coffee on Friday? I’d like to try that café by the seawall which you had mentioned.” 

 

He didn’t reply for twenty-four hours. I worried a bit—progress since normally I worry a lot. Maybe I’d lost a potential friend. Some people don’t respond will to “let’s be friends” coffees. Would things be awkward at the gym? What if he was hatching a new plan for coffee chez Damien? It would be easy to rent crutches and feign a sprained ankle. Would the café fall victim to arson? (Yeah, these are my worrying “a bit” thoughts.)

 

If he weren’t so imaginative and instead went with something lame-o like insisting I try some new espresso blend he bought, I’d stick with my sudden obsession over this café I’d never been to. “Oh, I really, really want to try that Italian spot. If we’re in luck, they’ll have Italian-speaking baristas who haven’t yet learned coffee terms in English.” Turns out that was the one way I got lucky on Friday.

 

For the most part, it was a harmless experience. Damien was a bit more touchy than I’m comfortable with, but I didn’t jump back in my seat and slather my arm in that ol’ COVID mainstay, hand sanitizer. He talked, I talked, we laughed, we had a nice time. Damien even texted within an hour afterward to say so. I didn’t respond in kind.

 

I think we’re close to being in the clear. There comes a point when a person realizes that a relationship is now and will always remain in the friendship zone. Usually it happens faster when I am the subject of interest. I have years of cluelessness and a solid reputation of He’s Not All That on my side. Every so often, that’s a good thing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: