Monday, July 12, 2021

AGING GRACELESSLY


I struggle with the fact I’m getting older. We all do, I know. A newborn at five days is older than it was at birth. Obviously. To be more precise, I’m at least at the trailhead of the path marked with the sign Growing OldI cringe just typing that. I’m an anxious person and the thought of aging has always been an issue. Sure, I couldn’t wait until I reached sixteen. I can drive a car! (Actually, in Texas, you can get a “hardship” license that allows you to drive to work and school at fifteen. No open beer or unregistered gun though. Even the Lone Star State has a few limits.) Twenty-one was kinda cool, too. I could drink without my are-you-kidding-me fake ID. It’s not that I was a lush—getting drunk has never had any appeal, much less been a Friday night (AND Saturday night) goal; it’s just that I happened to be two years younger than my peers and didn’t want to have youth highlighted by the possibility of a server denying me my amaretto sour. Youth. If only.

 

I took hitting thirty hard. It was my premature midlife crisis, prompting me to walk away from my career as a lawyer (after a whopping two and a half years), and move from Los Angeles back to Canada, not to the area where I grew up, pre-Texas, but to Vancouver where I knew only one person.

 


After that, deep funks over getting older didn’t wait until I hit a new decade. Instead, every single birthday was cause for sorrow instead of celebration. Another year older…why the woo-hoo? As my mother is fond of saying, “Beats the alternative.” Sure. Technically so, but is that cause for cake? I’m not a cake fan even in general terms. I don’t tell people when my birthday is and I certainly don’t want parties or gifts. Let it pass. Don’t remind me. 


I don't want to board airplanes before everybody else.

 

Does it feel worse because I’m gay? I’ve long passed the threshold for being dead in gay years. I’m supposed to be settled down, out of sight, shopping for antique hutches with a partner, or I must submit to buying a one-way ticket for an aimless trip on an ice floe, waiting for a polar bear to scramble up after a swim and have breakfast. It would be easy to blame gay culture but, if anything, that’s only reinforced a mindset that was already there.

 


When I dated a guy last year, my running joke—which wasn’t funny at all—was that I was thirty-four, as if I’d undergone that cryonic frozen-in-time procedure without any of the problematic side effects like being in a block of ice. For a number of years now, I have truly felt like I was thirty-four in mind and body. Frozen in time, figuratively anyway. I’m more hyper than I’ve ever been, always rarin’ to go. My daily tasks are all punctuated with urgent exclamation marks. Jog! Bike! Write! Hike! Read! Work out! Thirty minutes after I finish a run, I’ll step outside, see someone else jogging and my mind automatically thinks, I should do another run. Now! I don’t but I really, really want to. 

 

I see the difference in my friends. My closest friend talks about his body turning pear-shaped (“like my [eighty-nine-year-old] father”) and spoke with pride this past weekend about how he likes to just sit and watch the morning show with Gayle King and her colleagues for three hours straight. While younger gay men send butt and dick pics to strangers, I send my friend pie pics (and, lately, croissant shots). He’s overjoyed. Another good friend has spent the past three years recovering from foot surgeries and considers an annual chat a significant investment. I hear lots about people’s aches and pains, frequent references to the way things used to be and all that talk about stocks, mortgages and pensions that made me cringe thinking about in my twenties, a sentiment that hasn’t changed. They aren’t willing to try oat milk, wonder out loud if they should get an e-bike (“It’d probably just sit in the garage”) and don’t believe meat-eating younger people would actually choose to eat at a vegan spot sometimes—just another option like Thai or Lebanese. 

 

What happened to fun? What about spontaneity? What happened to being open to new things, someday at least, if no longer with that sense of right away? It should be no surprise that the person I hang out the most with now is—you guessed it—thirty-four. This morning she sent me a TikTok video. I couldn’t figure out how to get it to play, but she filled me in after a couple follow-up texts. I’m (sorta) in the loop with the cool kids. On the weekend, I met her and her boyfriend to do a canopy walk in the forest. They drove there; I biked it. Afterwards, we sat on the grass and chatted. Friends my age look for benches. (“It’s too hard to get up,” one said recently.)

 

Ah, yes. Growing old takes some getting used to. My TV-watching friend talks about it with his own exclamation marks. Mushroom videos on YouTube! Pie! TV news! Horror movie marathons! I’m neither exaggerating nor making fun of him. I’m even partially in awe. He fully embraces the slower pace and, as he says, “doing nothing.” I was aghast this weekend on our “hike”—his term; I called it a walk—when he said, “What’s so great about our virtual world now is that I don’t have to travel anymore. I can just watch it all on my screen.” Sometimes you just know when not to argue a point. Sometimes people’s views are just too far apart. 

 

I do realize being sedentary isn’t solely for people growing older—there are plenty of twenty-something couch potatoes and nonstop gamers—but this friend of mind used to be on volleyball, softball and curling teams. He was my tennis bud. He backpacked across Europe and climbed Kilimanjaro. He’s three years younger than me but has a much older mindset. 

 

It used to be that my fear of growing old was about being alone. I didn’t want to be single and die alone. I’ve let most of that angst go. I still don’t want to die and go three weeks in my condo, body decomposing, only to be discovered because neighbors wondered about the bad smell in the hallway. Of course, I won’t be around to face them or be duly mortified, but it still seems more than a tad undignified for a final exit. I think I’ve solved this by deciding that, at some point, I’ll get my pastry pal to agree that we’ll text each other hello every morning. No text by noon requires investigation. Problem solved.

 

I’ve also worried aplenty about becoming invisible. I’ve observed many times how an elderly person walking with a cane has to stop at the edge of a sidewalk as a chatty couple or a group of younger folk (at that point, they’re all younger folk) pass by, oblivious to the gentleman’s need for space and constant concern about the possibility of falling and breaking a hip. I’m already getting a taste for being unnoticed and irrelevant. It’s one part freeing and two parts depressing. I’m learning to deal with it.

 

I may feel thirty-four, but that’s not what passersby see. I get called “sir” a lot and, while it’s supposed to convey respect, I hate it. The checkout person, the barista, the computer tech guy who has to show me how to download photos…to all of them I’m a sir. The only way I’ve “earned” the reference is in a “respect your elders” kind of way.

 


For all my denial about aging, the signs are surfacing. Six years ago, I got my first pair of glasses and now I can’t read anything without them. If I take a selfie, I’ll glance at it and think the crow’s feet and deep, saggy crevices under my eyes are an indicator of the low-quality camera on my cell phone. (I should get a newer version, but I can’t bear to hear all that gobbledygook about giga-somethings and some sort of cloud in the sky that stores my stuff. (What happens on a sunny day?) Even more telling, I can be as sour as those two old Muppets, Statler and Waldorf. Early onset of “cranky old man.”

 

Every time I forget something (What was that brilliant writing idea? Why did I open the fridge? Why am I holding this whisk?) I immediately attribute it to aging and fret that maybe I’m in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Did I forget things when I was twenty-three? No, never. Of course not!

 

Worst of all, I’ve had to ease up a bit on my hiking for the last six weeks because my left knee has a persistent pain. Running is totally on hold. This is the beginning…

4 comments:

Rick Modien said...

Only the beginning of you in a different phase of your life. As a counselor once told me, on a completely different subject, different is neither good nor bad. It's just different.

I have a few years on you, Gregory. I turn 62 in October. Try putting a 6 in front of your age. It can sting, or you can just deal with it. I'm dealing with it. Fifty was a bitch. I went into a deep funk. Sixty was fine. So far, so good.

Yup. Aches and pain. I get all that shit. But I'm still here, I'm still engaged in life, to the extent I want to be, and I've never lived my life more "on purpose," if you will, than I am now. As Chris would say, it's all good. And it is.

Lighten the dread. Not worth the time or worry. Keep being you. Keep being the best you you can be. Don't fight it. Embrace it. If you don't, you'll be making only yourself miserable. No one else notices––unless you think they do.

Hope this helps.

Aging Gayly said...

Thanks for the comment, Rick. It's good advice and I know what you're saying is how I should view things. Change my perspective. Flick a switch. Let things be what they are. This is just another rung on that ladder of self-acceptance. (It's one of those dang extension ladders when I have enough challenges with a silly step stool.)

I've been both fascinated and horrified with old age since I was five or six, visiting my great-grandmother who couldn't get my name right. Reggie, she'd say. Close, but that kind of thing can ruffle a five-year-old. I didn't understand how a sweet, slow-talking woman kept making the same simple mistake. I genuinely liked her and I loved all the stories about her life, but I wanted somebody to fix her so she could be her best. Of course, that was her best, but I didn't get it. My parents neglected to tell me when she died. Death itself seemed to be taboo and they must have thought they were somehow protecting me, being as I was a ridiculously sensitive child. (Never outgrew that.) When I finally asked why we didn't visit her anymore, my mother had to spill the beans, but she claimed she'd told me the news when it happened. (My mother has done things like that so many times.)

I think from then on I was perplexed by old age. I observed intently. I may have been obsessed with thoughts about aging. I'm certain I was obsessed with thoughts about my own death. When? How? It brought on so much worry. I hated how the elderly lived with what I saw as limitations. I wanted all that to be fixed. I tried to swat away fears and dread--yes, even when I was young--by telling myself and praying that there would be cures for everything by the time I got to be their age. Live forever? I liked that idea, sure. But, if not, live fully which meant being active in mind and body. Damn it all, while people are living longer, those cures seems to be delayed.

In university, I helped coach a seniors' swim team for a brief period. I was very aware of the stark differences in people who were the same age as one another. Sometimes they inspired me, sometimes they triggered that dread again. In my mid-twenties, working closely with persons with AIDS, two in particular, I watched their bodies rapidly age. My twenty-nine-year-old buddy, whose brain was so alive, so hopeful, so determined could do nothing to fight off his dying body. I was enraged and haunted by AIDS. I thought, like many gay men, that I wouldn't ever reach old age, but I felt that this horrendous disease wouldn't let us escape the aging process.

Aging Gayly said...

Two of my grandparents didn't fare so well in old age. One developed Alzheimer's and the other seemed to just give up. I watched three of my other elderly relatives continue to be the same spry, funny, intelligent people they'd always been. Older? Of course, but going strong. We all thought they'd live to be a hundred. In each case, they were absolutely fine...until they weren't. In a matter of a couple of months for each of them, they experienced so many indignities. These fiercely proud people were stripped of their independence and then their will.

When I taught fifth grade, I buddied my class up with residents of a nearby nursing home. First it was a pen pal project. Most of the seniors couldn't write their own letters (yes, that troubled me) so we got a high school involved too with them visiting the residents and writing the letters which the residents dictated. Eventually, my class made several visits with their pen pals. The intention had been to break down some of the stigma and fear about old age. I'd seen too much distance and awkwardness between children and the elderly in so many settings. (Obviously, there must have been a part of me that needed a reminder that becoming old was okay. I probably would have never come up with the project had aging not continued to preoccupy me.)

I also wrote a middle grade novel in which an eighty-nine-year-old man and the twelve-year-old boy who mows his lawn come to understand one another and become friends. I really like the manuscript although I wrote it twenty years ago and it now needs some work. The feedback I got was mixed. It was read aloud in a writing group and I was stunned that everyone was laughing. (I'd hoped it was at least mildly funny.) The person assigned to read it had to keep stopping; he had tears in his eyes from laughing. Still, agents didn't get it. I was told that kids didn't want to read about old people. I was also told that my main character, the boy, who was supposed to have a funny view of the world, was unlikable. (I didn't take that very well.)

Anyway...I think I've spent my whole life trying to convince myself that growing old was okay, trying to quell my fears of all the unpleasant stuff that may come with it. Seems I haven't been so successful. I've never been great with change. I decided a couple of years ago that I wanted to focus specifically on my fears about growing old in therapy but, alas, my psychiatrist retired and the ones I've been ping-ponged back and forth with since then don't want to hear about anything except for whether I'm taking my meds. I think blogging about it helps a little, along with this where'd-all-that-come-from, why-can't-you-be-concise comment.

Accept it? Embrace it? Flick that switch? For me, some things take far more work than they should. It'll happen, I hope.

Rick Modien said...

Thanks for the details, Gregory. I get it, I really do.
But, for me, at some point I had to accept aging. I don't see a lot of choice.
Plus, I'm an over-thinker, and, of all the things I could over-think, aging sure as hell isn't one of them. I do the best I can to remain active and healthy, and I think that's all we can expect as we age.
I have this saying I keep repeating to myself from time to time: I'm going to live until I die. Some people would say the life I live isn't living, not as fully as it could be, but it's what I'm comfortable with. For now.
Thanks for taking the time to help me, and your other readers, to understand.