Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A QUESTION FOR YOU

In 2019, it was they.

In 2018, justice.

2017: feminism. 2016: surreal. 2015: -ism.

We’re not quite four months into 2020, but does anyone doubt that Merriam-Webster’s word of the year will be coronavirus? Perhaps that’s too on the nose. Maybe they’ll go with isolation or fudge things a little with two words: social distancing. (Look at 2015, people. They picked a suffix. Sacrilege.)

With the only true choice already so obvious, I’d like to move on and ponder what may be the question of the year. My nomination: So how are you holding up? Other queries that might appear on the final ballot might be, How’s the curve looking today?, Who else will Trump try to blame? and Where am I supposed to store all this toilet paper?

But seriously, how are you holding up?

Never mind the ocean views. 
Look at me!
For some, life chugs along, fears of some pesky virus swooping in and making every breath a struggle barely registering. Indeed, I don’t have to look far to see signs of “normal”. On my Monday jog around the seawall, I saw a shirtless twenty-five year old up ahead, holding his phone out in front of him, trying to get the perfect daily (hourly?) shot for his Instagram feed. By the time I passed him, he was leaning against a tree trunk, phone still outstretched, his muscle definition not suffering from gym closures, his facial expression decidedly serious. Taking a selfie takes utmost concentration. I managed not to stumble on account of the temporary distraction and jogged on, coming upon clusters of couples on beach towels at Third Beach, each pairing duly spaced out at least two meters from their neighbors. It took great effort for me to suppress a cough as I took in a breath. (Is there a more alarming sound than a cough these days?) I don’t like encountering any kind of smoke when I’m exercising and I was taking in a heavy dose of marijuana mixed with an even more offensive minted cigar, if there’s actually such a thing. Only after I rounded the corner and cleared the human-generated fog did I realize it was April 20th, enthusiastically celebrated in Vancouver as 4-20, a chance to publicly toke en masse, the occasion switching from a demonstration to a celebration last year after pot became legal across Canada in October 2018. While important things must clearly (hazily?) go on, the scale has been dramatically reduced.

So there you have it, people. My highly unscientific observations of what remains regular. Selfies and public toking gatherings. I hope that offers you (or someone) reassurance.
But if you’re not concerned with selfies, how your abs change in definition every five minutes or the fact that smoking pot has changed from being an act of defiance to being a mild irritant to middle-aged joggers, I ask again, How are you holding up?

Are you bending the rules? Are you absorbing fumes from toxic permanent markers while making posters to attend a rally—with proper social distancing, of course, contrary photo evidence be damned—demanding that nail salons reopen? Or are you hunkered down at home, waiting for the next Amazon package to arrive so you can restock your cupboard with hand sanitizers and cans of Lysol? Admit it, the lower hinge of the cupboard door came off two days ago from excessive opening and closing.

My boyfriend Daniel—okay, maybe I was just looking for an excuse to type that—is an extrovert and he religiously checks our provincial COVID-19 numbers every day, squinting at the charted data, as if he can blur things enough to see that elusive flattened curve. I don’t have to tune in. He gives me the full report. (Alas, a summary would suffice.) Unlike me, he’s an extrovert. I’ve learned through him that “essential travel” is entirely subjective. While his favorite coffee place temporarily closed up a month ago, Daniel and his coffee mates have found a worthy substitute six blocks away. Every morning he heads there for it’s nine o’clock opening. (Are you finding business hours wonky these days? During any other time, what cafe could possibly survive, opening so late?) Daniel and his friends form a sidewalk circle that expands and contracts over the course of an hour as people come and go, the two meters apart rule always in play. I once made the comment that his daily coffee outing could not be construed as “essential” in the eyes of our provincial coronavirus expert, Dr. Bonnie Henry, a woman Daniel reveres. I felt his side-eye stare digging into me. Those were breaking up words I’d dared to speak. He kept silent.

It’s not just the coffee talk that compels Daniel to get out and immerse himself in public each day. There’s always a food item that he can’t delay having at once. Yesterday it was walnuts. And he can’t resist a daily browse in at least a couple of four drugstores to see what he can add to his collection of disinfectants. (I’m pretty sure his supply has gone beyond just one cupboard. He may soon have turf some of his hoarded supply of dried pasta just to make room.) While I’m a classic procrastinator, Daniel must have or do something the moment it enters his mind. While my list of what’s essential might take up two lines, his fills pages and continues to grow.

Ah, COVID-19, 2020. Crazy times.

And yet, for me, things are still normal or, at the very most, normal with an asterisk. To be sure, I “miss” going to the gym.

As a gay man, I felt I was compelled to say that.

Damn. I must be doing something wrong.
Who isn’t pining to get back into a heavily mirrored space to sweat and grunt in baggy shorts and tees—they’re supposed to be form fitting—as buff guys with the middle name Narcissus restrict their gaze to themselves in the mirror as they do bicep curls with dumbbells that exceed our own body weight? I worry too that I’ll lose my patented glare that I cast on oblivious dudes sitting on benches and machines, scrolling through their phones as I’m waiting to work out some body part. A wrist maybe or surely I can bulk up my elbows. For now, I make do with increasing my runs and bike rides, searching YouTube on off days to follow along to routines that have me doing stretchy things with elastic thingies, breathing in, breathing out, hoping this rubber band play will retain whatever muscle tone I have left.

I won’t get into it again—at least, not in consecutive posts—about how badly I long for a professional haircut. I’m making do, covering my bathroom mirror with a sheet and trying to summon up the gumption to “own it” as I step out on rare public appearances with my big ’do. The sky has not fallen, nor has my hair even brushed up against the lowest cloud.

The hardest change for me is that I can’t sit in a local cafe at seven each morning to begin my writing. My Bodum at home works perfectly fine. I’ve adjusted. Other than that morning start, I’ve worked from home for the past two and a half years. In that time, I’ve learned to bat away (most) urges to waste time reading my Twitter feed and I’ve never ever used cleaning my place as a writing distraction. I’ll spare you the current proof, a pic of my kitchen counter. It’s proof on steroids. In the spirit of stay-at-home recommendations, I’ve reduced the number of times I trek down to my building’s utility room with bags full of recycling and garbage. I’m a filthy slob, but a very compliant one.

Okay, let’s shake off that last couple of sentences. I have to admit that there are parts of this new normal that I quite like. I’ve been practicing a form of social distancing all by myself for most of my life. I’ve mentioned many times that I’m an extreme introvert. Add to that a diagnosis (one of many) of social anxiety. In the past, my anxiety hit most often in grocery stores. Maybe it’s the tall shelving on other side of me in any aisle. Maybe it’s all the food items I forbid myself from having (due to another diagnosis, my recalcitrant eating disorder). Maybe it’s too many people in a confined space, people rushing to fill baskets before the dinner hour chimes. Too often, I’ve found myself shaking, wiping an unwelcome tear from my cheek and fighting an irrational notion that I must immediately fall to the ground and curl up in a ball. I feel eyes on me, people thinking, “What’s with that guy?” Nowadays, I take my place in line outside the store, no one too close in front of me nor behind me. When I get inside the store, there is room to roam. Inevitably, I’ll find myselfstuck” in an aisle, someone gazing too long at ketchup brands. I feel a surge of anxiety—do I wait politely or do I hold my breath and quickly violate social distancing recommendations to pass by them? I feel relief, knowing this isn’t one of my quirky dilemmas but something almost everyone is facing. My god, I am normal in a grocery store! It’s exhilarating. I line up to check out, once again completely at ease with no one piercing my bubble. We all have bubbles now.

I write. I read. I run. I bike. I play with elastic thingies. I keep my Netflix to an hour or less. (No thank you, “Tiger King”.) Life goes on, relatively cough-free. It’s good.

So, really, how are you holding up?

2 comments:

Rick Modien said...

And you spend time with your *boyfriend.* Oh, how I love to read that (is that you smiling, RG?). I know it's still early, but.

I really, REALLY miss writing at Kanaka Creek Coffee. My home office is wonderful––someone saw it and asked how I could ever leave––but the connection with people I know at Kanaka, employees and customers, my community, is what I really miss. I hope they're all doing okay.

Chris works from home now, has for the past five weeks or so, and the two of us being in the same house for so many hours a day, everyday, has worked out fine. He has his office in the basement, with the heater from my bedroom to keep it toasty, as he likes, and, as I mentioned, I'm in my office on the upper floor (a good distance from each other). What I really love about having Chris home is, well, everything––no three-hour-plus daily commute into Vancouver and back, no risk taking public transit, a longer sleep-in, a later bedtime, exercise done before dinner, a whole evening together. Oh, and I get to see him a lot more. What's not to love about that? And, on weekend, we get a lot more done around the house and yard. Always so much to do when you're a home-owner.

Going out for groceries, as I did about half an hour ago? Hate it. It feels like I'm doing something wrong (we gotta eat, you know), and I'm going to get in trouble. I hate being looked at like I'm one big throbbing virus, waiting to infect everyone I encounter. I hate that some shelves in the grocery stores are still empty (who knew people could use so much toilet paper, tissues, baking supplies, and so on). Grocery shopping was never the highlight of my day, but now it's something I have to do, and I'd be happy if I didn't. But then I'd never go anywhere either.

I've increased my exercise: three bikes rides and two long walks every week. At least these are still safe, assuming a vehicle doesn't crowd me into the ditch, or I don't trip on my own feet and do a face plant on the sidewalk. Hey, I'm old. These things happen.

Writing is going okay. I'm well on my way to filling in the blanks in the plot of my second novel, and I LOVE that process, when I'm not doing my damnedest to avoid it (you know what I mean; I know you do). Still waiting on the five publishers in possession of my first novel, which I don't expect to hear from any time soon. Since most are indies, I worry some won't survive this time, breathing their last gasp before they get to page one of my manuscript. I guess we'll find out sooner or later. I hope so, anyway.

I do ramble, don't I?

In the end, life is okay. Chris and I are still healthy and holding in there. And all our family members are okay too. That's all that really matters, isn't it? Everything else is just an inconvenience. Gratitude, Rick. Gratitude.

Thanks for giving us the update on what's going on with you, RG. Always a treat to read your words.

Aging Gayly said...

I knew there would be some good things to come out of this for you and Chris! As someone who used to have an insane commute, you don't realize what a grind it is until you step away from it. No doubt Chris has more energy for everything else in life. Odd times, but precious, too! It will be another adjustment for him to renew his commute after this coronavirus era ends. (Normally an "era" is a longer period of time, but I'm hearing from many that it feels like an eternity.)

Sorry that the grocery store trips aren't pleasant. I'm in them more often than I should be but one is right across the street from me and four more are within an six block radius. Too convenient. Since I was planning on a big move, I'd depleted my stock of just about everything so I'm constantly having to dash to a store to get a basic staple that I forgot I don't have in stock. The problem is that lots of people got into hoarding so folks like me are out of luck. I'm still in search of that elusive whole wheat flour! My experience here is that people go out of their way to be kind to the grocery store staff and staff are, in turn, friendlier. There's also that very Canadian thing about saying sorry over and over again as customers encounter one another in the aisles. Sorry...with a tinge of anxiety.

Glad to hear planning regarding the second novel is coming along. I'm reworking an incomplete young adult manuscript set in Vancouver during the Spanish flu. Ten years ago, I set it aside, feeling kids wouldn't be able to relate. Now it's oh so timely! Good luck with the publishers and keep looking for others where you can submit your work.