Wednesday, November 20, 2019

IN THE BLIND SPOT

I learned early. Don’t stare, it’s rude. I was probably four or five and I’m sure I wasn’t actually looking at a person. Just the ice cream cone they held while my mother gripped my hand. For decades I followed established social etiquette. It was easy. I was far more challenged by occasions in which eye contact was required.
When I first started going to gay bars in West Hollywood—it was the only place to meet back then—I mastered totally ineffective cruising techniques. I had a knack for stealing sneak peeks when I sensed a guy I was interested in was looking away. Of course, it got me nothing. I’d often heard of people meeting while passing on the sidewalk, both men looking back at the same time. I liked the idea of that but my shyness made the maneuver feel too risky. Good god, if our eyes met, then what?! I’d pass a guy after leaving the clubs and wait ten seconds before going through the motions and looking back when I knew full well that any possible moment had safely passed. Then I’d drive home alone, bemoaning the fact I couldn’t meet a guy.
But that was then.
I stare all the time now. Ice cream remains an attention grabber but I stare at people too. Men.
I tested it out this fall while I spent close to a month in Stockholm. I figured I was in a different country and Swedes were known for being non-confrontational. Besides, I was spellbound by what seemed to be a clean Swedish look: well-coiffed hair, combed back and parted on the side, and classic, understated clothing, every garment warming a closet hanger for six months at most. I told myself my watchful eye was about picking up a few style tips.
At least that’s how it started. Quick looks and then that necessary look away. But then I dared to gaze a fraction of a second longer, then an entire second. No one glared. At first, I attributed it to consummate politeness—on their part, not mine.
And then it became a game. While still intent on picking up a sense of Swedish style, I wanted to be caught staring. I wanted there to be a silent exchange: I see you looking at me. It wasn’t long before the experiment stopped being fun. The sense of daring evaporated. Reality set in. I had an epiphany. It came while having fika, a sort of afternoon coffee and cinnamon bun break, but with a sense of something more—the fact that I don’t know what that “something more” is only proves I’m no Swede. What I got out of fika was utter amazement that all these people could indulge in sugary pastries on a daily basis and be markedly slimmer as a society than Canadians and Americans. But that’s not the epiphany (although I too lost weight while wholly embracing fika. Maybe it’s just something in the northern air). As I sipped my oat milk latte and noshed on a cardamom bun, a close cousin to the beloved Swedish cinnamon bun, I looked at the good-looking man at the table across from me for more than a couple of seconds. I did it again and again, extending my gaze to five, then ten seconds. As fika is not a rushed thing, I got a lot of looks in. Yep, that blond hair was natural. That sweater was navy, not black as I’d initially thought. How did he get that tiny sliver of a scar on his chin?
Thinking that perhaps my eyes had fallen on one particularly oblivious (or focused) blond Swede, I picked a new target at fika the next afternoon. Brown hair, neatly groomed beard, lovely smile, thick wool navy sweater. (Sweden seemed to be having a navy moment.) This forty-something chap chatted with two women as an open notebook balanced in his lap, never once written in. Empty dessert plates and coffee mugs filled the small round table between them. As luck would have it, I had a head-on view of him. I noshed on my blueberry bun—a lovely variant on the cinnamon bun that I only found at this particular spot—as the cursor on my open laptop blinked in place for twenty minutes. I took in the bustle of the bakery but mostly I studied him, creating a story of his life and daydreaming about how I would fit into it. He looked up several times, his gaze in my direction, but not once did he notice me noticing him. I simply did not exist.
By the time I’d finished the trip, my Swedish experiment had been thoroughly tested, leading to one solid conclusion: as an aging gay guy, I can stare all I want.
I repeated the experiment in Seattle and several times in Vancouver. Cafes, the gym, the art gallery. Always the same result. My looks don’t register.
I’m not sure it’s in my repertoire, but I could ogle if I wanted to. Leer even. I could cast my squinty-eyed approximation of conveying lust and it wouldn’t even cause someone to say, “Excuse me, sir. Do you have something in your eye?”
There’s nothing exhilarating about this newfound freedom. There is a sense of loss instead of a gain. Before, when casting my eyes upon someone, there was always a bit of a thrill. Would I get caught? In a flash, I could mold my stare into a look of pensiveness, a writer with an open laptop, searching the air for a precise word or phrase. Better yet, would the guy return my gaze? There was always the possibility, however remote, that that single daring peep would lead to a conversation, a date and then somewhere down the line a ceremony along with a blurb in the Vows section of the New York Times, including the statement, “The two met in 2019 while sitting at neighboring tables at a cafe in Vancouver.”
That just spilled out of me. Total randomness. It’s not like I’ve ever thought of such a thing.
Now, with unchecked staring privileges, it’s clear that will never happen. I don’t rejoice in realizing I’ve become the human equivalent to the color beige. Present, at least in a technical sense.
Alas, gone are the days of an interventionist admonishing me: “Don’t stare!” Society has come up with a colder approach: Just ignore it and it will go away.
Well played, guys,...well played. I think this is about the time when I’m supposed to make the transition to sandals with knee-high brown socks, all-weather shorts that ride up above my navel and sweatshirts with permanent stains (mustard?). It’s freedom, yes, but it does come with a price.


2 comments:

oskyldig said...

You did it all wrong. You have to play the "who breaks eye contact first" while in the metro or commuter train. I nearly always win, so it's fun!

Rick Modien said...

I totally get the whole staring thing, taking a chance looking a little longer, because I'm older now and don't care if those I'm staring at like it or not. But I also fear I've become what I hated most when I was much younger: One of those creepy old men who used to stare at me because they wanted only one thing (which they never got). The truth is, there's beauty everywhere, especially in men. I have no interest in meeting or having sex with them. I only want to take in their full, manicured beards, their strong chins, their thick, swept-back hair––if not to admire and swoon, then to commit to memory for use in my writing.

Stare on. It's one of the pleasures in life.