Monday, April 1, 2019

"IDOL" EVOLUTION

“American Idol” is no longer the juggernaut that it was when it debuted in 2002 and during the first half dozen seasons that followed. Many have switched their allegiance to “The Voice” or “The Masked Singer” or given up on talent competitions to binge-watch buzzier shows on Netflix. 

I took several years off from viewing but gave it another shot when “Idol” switched from Fox to ABC. I tend to multitask while it’s on, but the show still resonates with me. As a writer, I can relate to people in creative fields desperately pursuing their dreams, looking to build an audience, hoping to break through despite the fact that “Idol” winners now fade from memory a week after the season finale. They sing, they compete because they’re compelled to do so. I write on for the same reason.

One area of positive change on “American Idol” involves its openness in showcasing gay contestants. In the early seasons, I’d cringe when Ryan Seacrest and Simon Cowell exchanged gay putdown banter. I also hated when, in 2003, Clay Aiken competed (ultimately becoming runner up) as Joe Public speculated, derisively, over his sexuality. Indeed, Aiken remained silent during his time in the limelight and waited until 2008 to finally come out as gay.

Last night on “Idol”, the forty remaining contestants were pared down to the Top 20. At least two of them are openly gay men. I’d worried that, in casting its elite group, “Idol” would only welcome one as the token gay guy. So far both Ryan Hammond and Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon are still in the running. (The group will be cut to fourteen, perhaps as early as tonight.)

The first to make it through was Ryan Hammond. He spoke of missing his boyfriend Chris who couldn’t make the trip to Hawaii. Ryan dedicated his cover of Donny Hathaway’s “A Song for You” to Chris.

I love you in a place
Where there's no space or time
I love you for my life
You're a friend of mine
And when my life is over
Remember when we were together
We were alone
And I was singing this song to you

In an interview clip, Ryan said of his performance, “I was just thinking about Chris at home so I hope I did it justice for him.”

As Katy Perry, told Ryan he’d made the Top 20, she said, “I think you’re probably finding out who you are in general for the first time so whatever you’ve been saying to yourself has been really working for you.”

Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon’s story has been more prominent this season. The son of a pastor, he worked as a janitor at the church, but he left home because his parents don’t accept him for being gay. With his boyfriend John in the audience—and identified as such by “Idol”, Jeremiah dedicated his performance of Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” to his parents. 

Well, I've been 'fraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm gettin' older, too

Of his performance, Jeremiah said, “I’m doing this for me. I’m doing this for everyone who’s been outcast by their loved ones…If I can be open about it and vulnerable, then maybe that could bring hope to somebody else.”

Katy again, delivered the news about advancing in the competition. “I just want to say from one pastor’s kid to another that I see you and I love you and I accept you and I’m so proud of you.” Jeremiah hugged his boyfriend twice during his clip last night and the camera even stayed on the couple as they shared a kiss.

My, “Idol”, you’ve come a long way. But it’s not just the show. Here we have two openly gay young men being their true selves on a show still seen my more than nine million people, many from middle America.  Hats off to them. While many have indeed moved on from “Idol” days, I’ll keep watching.


5 comments:

Rick Modien said...

And so will I.
Not sure if you watched the top 20 perform back in California, RG, but I was genuinely impressed by the level and quantity of talent this year. Not just great voices, but stylists––and more than a few potential stars.
I'll be watching it along with you.

Aging Gayly said...

Yes, Rick, the two young gay men aren't the only talented singers in this group.

oskyldig said...

My favourite part about Idol is that they make the losing singer sing goodbye. It's like a sad reminder that America didn't choose you, so sing away your sorrows. Poetic emotional destructiveness.

Aging Gayly said...

Sometimes that parting song is painful for us all. If the callers truly send home the person who delivered the weakest performance, then the encore can feel more like retribution than redemption.

23546265 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.