Saturday, January 12, 2019

HART-LESS AND PERFECTLY FINE WITH THAT

I don’t know who Kevin Hart is.
Sure, I know he’s made a bunch of movies, none of which I’ve ever seen. I know his movies make big bucks. I know he’s supposed to be funny. I’ll take other people’s word for it.
Obviously, I’m not bummed if he doesn’t host the Oscars. Even without his old homophobic tweets, I’d much rather someone else take that role.
Tina Fey.
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
Tina Fey and a holographic stickman.
Ellen Degeneres.
Steve Martin and Martin Short. (Their Netflix special was packed with all the silliness you’d expect.)
Billy Crystal. (He’s got to be free.)
Eddie Murphy. (Also free.)
Jon Stewart.
Hell, even Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty. Call it the fake Oscars.
Surely no one’s world is shattered—other than Kevin Hart’s—if Kevin Hart isn’t the Oscar host.
So can we please stop bringing up Kevin Hart’s name, as if the ceremony cannot go on without him? (This whole damn controversy has lingered because a new host hasn’t been named. Does everyone in Hollywood have incriminating tweets?)
Kevin Hart has apparently apologized for his dated homophobic comments. Not in the clearest way and not without seeming to play the victim but he’s not the first person who finds it difficult to say he’s sorry. (A certain world “leader” comes to mind.) Ellen’s forgiven him it seems. Don Lemon has at least acknowledged the apology. I don’t think we can expect much more of this guy.
Don Lemon, however, beseeched him to be an LGBT ally. Thankfully, Mr. Hart said no thank you. We don’t need guys like Kevin Hart to be our ally. We certainly don’t need to be giving the guy a microphone. It’s enough for me if he totally mutes his thoughts that may have anything to do with gay people.
There are many worthier allies. But Don Lemon asking Kevin Hart to be an ally got me wondering about why we’re still seeking allies in the first place. Why are we needing straight people to advocate and speak on our behalf? Are we not strong enough? Haven’t we gained more acceptance? Do we not have articulate spokespeople who are actually gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered? Yes, the aforementioned Ellen Degeneres and Don Lemon come to mind, just for starters. We don’t need to go around begging straight people—former(?) homophobes, in particular—to carry the rainbow flag.
Mr. Lemon’s thinking is old school, much like my own when I don’t check myself. He grew up during a time when we desperately needed the acceptance of celebrities because our voices did not seem to be enough. During the AIDS crisis, I remember watching Oscar telecasts and other award shows and applauding along with my friends every time a presenter wore a red ribbon. Wow! Just wow. Similarly, I remember when the same red ribbon became a watered down symbol, something celebrities wore perhaps more out of protocol and obligation than due to any sort of real conviction. Shoes? Check. Tux or dress? Check. Ribbon? Check.
We’ve come a long way since 1990. I realize that many LGBT people in America are worried about setbacks in the Trump era and that there are injustices that continue in other parts of the world. Still, I’d rather hand the microphone to Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper, Jane Lynch, Laverne Cox, RuPaul, Ryan Murphy, Elton John, Ellen Page or Jim Parsons to offer personal perspectives about issues that matter to us. To be clear, any positive, accepting comments from straight people are appreciated, but we have to start realizing our own power. LBGT people are stronger than ever before and have ready access to mainstream media. Allies may be nice, but we don’t need to go around tapping the shoulders of the least worthy. We don’t need Kevin Hart to host the Oscars and, more importantly, we don’t need him as our ally. 
Let’s move on, shall we?

3 comments:

Rick Modien said...

I totally understand your point, RG. What really appealed to me about Don Lemon's plea was he was encouraging Kevin Hart not just to show his support of LGBT people, but to set an example for young black kids who might also LGBT. Apparently, it's more difficult for young black people to be LGBT, and Lemon believes someone like Hart, with the platform he has, could make a difference in how these children see themselves––even though Hart himself is not gay.

Like you, I couldn't care less if Kevin Hart hosts the Oscars. In fact, I'm not much interested in the Oscars at all. The only movie Chris and I saw at a theatre this past year was "The Post." When Hollywood starts making better movies, we'll spend our money at them.

Aging Gayly said...

In the past, I've always cheered when a straight person speaks with compassion and acceptance of LGBT people. Think I will continue to do so. Still, there should be a shift in LGBT advocacy. We need to empower public figures who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered or questioning and encourage them to speak more. Don Lemon can be that role model for black youth. As well, he can work to get other black gay men who are public figures to come out and use their voices for positive change. I'd much rather have Don Lemon speak about gay issues than some begrudging, victim-playing straight actor.

Rick Modien said...

Good point, RG, and well written too.