Monday, December 31, 2018

HOLOGRAMS, SNEERS & DEAD FISH


The city just ran out of men.
That’s right,...Vancouver.
The whole “raining men” thing was just a strange phenomenon from the ‘80s. The eighties, for god’s sake. And here I’d spent all but the last four months of that decade in the closet with my tossed-on-the-floor acid-washed jean shorts, collar-less Girbaud shirts and pleated baggy pants.

Doesn’t matter now. The men are gone. I’ve stepped into some Wonder Woman land. She may be fierce but frankly she doesn’t do a thing for me.

I should be like that guy who married a hologram

Of course, then I’d have to decide between Fred Jones from “Scooby Doo” and Hermey the Elf. Longstanding crushes. I used to be partial to blonds. I guess I’d pick Hermey. He’s got to be a dentist by now, right? My mom would be so happy. “Oh, son, you picked such a sweet, well-mannered hologram groom. And successful, too.”
Seriously, how did thirty-nine people show up to a hologram wedding? Did they miss Barbie and Ken’s big event? Did they actually buy gifts from the registry? Yeah, I should definitely marry Hermey the Elf. But first I’d have to propose and, well, he’d likely say no. He’s probably more the Big Daddy type, all that time spent around Yukon Cornelius.
Fred would turn me down, too. Nothing personal. I just don’t get the sense he’d want to share his cravat drawer.
Dammit. I can’t even get myself a decent hologram.
There’s some urban legend going around about some gay man meeting some other gay man by happenstance, out in public, in person, a random encounter in a rom-com come-to-life. I don’t see that happening for real. I sit and write in cafes and in libraries, looking up every now and then in case someone wants to make eye contact. Nothing. Just some guy one floor below me at the central library, constantly clipping his toenails. (Eye contact?! How could I compete with foot care? And I’m not the foot fetish type. Nothing romantic about what goes in a sweaty sock.)
I go to the grocery store. Not a look there. I have to decide if the avocados are ripe on my own. (By the way, here’s how.) Even when I try to cruise the Mr. Clean bottle. Worst kind of gay. He’d go home with anybody.
I go to the gym, too. There is ZERO eye contact there. Everyone wears earbuds and stares down at their phone screen during the long (LONG!) delay between sets. I’m not my best self at the gym. If anyone glanced my way, I’d make a bad impression. Part of it is the gym t-shirt and shorts which show off, well...nothing, but it’s mostly the cranky face that would put people off. I get impatient waiting to use the leg press machine. Not that it does anything for me. But it’s part of my routine and it stands between me and going home. Can’t you step aside while you scroll Facebook, check out a Kardashian Instagram account or text Aunt Rue?
So, yeah, that notion about meeting a real guy in a regular setting has been put to rest. Pure myth. That then leaves online dating options. I say that as if any are truly viable. Plenty of Fish is dead water. Same tiny pool, exact same profile photos I saw ten years ago. As if we’re all ageless wonders. OKCupid is an even smaller collection and Match.com isn’t even a blip in the Vancouver market. That leaves the penis and ass pic sites. Call me old-fashioned, but I just don’t feel comfortable messaging a penis. I can’t imagine a relationship growing from “Nice scrotum.”
So that brings me back to holograms, Wonder Woman and cruising that floozy stud, Mr. Clean. Please say yes, Hermey.

4 comments:

oskyldig said...

I can relate here, but on my recent trip to UAE my Tinder exploded with matches. Might I suggest a place less inclined for openness? Sounds odd but in the Middle East and China I've had heaps more luck in getting interest than Sweden or Canada. It may be white privelege, or they want a new passport, but at least it's something, no?

Aging Gayly said...

Very interesting. UAE of all places!

I wonder if it's the reserved nature of Canadians and Swedes. We don't seem to take a lot of chances socially.

Rick Modien said...

Happy New Year, RG.
I continue to read every post you publish and love them. Can't wait to read what you write this year.
Out of curiosity, have you considered Events and Adventures? I hear ads on the radio about it all the time. I'm sure LGBT people join it too. Might be worth checking out.

https://www.eventsandadventures.com/

Aging Gayly said...

Hi Rick,
Happy New Year! I may indeed have to try something new this year. Just made myself message one person on Plenty of Fish and one on OkCupid today. Gotta keep trying!