Wednesday, August 22, 2018

QUOTING RINGO

Easy come, easy go.

That’s the expression that comes to mind as I begin this entry. After two decent dates with Travis, I got the text I didn’t want: nice guy, chemistry not there.

Nothing new. I’ve read it before. Many times.

Damn chemistry. I swear I got an A in it during high school. But like so much of my studies, the curriculum was not practical enough. And it’s the practical elements, not the periodic table of elements, that have challenged me my entire life.

No chemistry. I’ll add it to the file, mixed in with all the “no fireworks” feedback. Whatever I file it under, the key word is “no”.

Easy go? Sure. I have plenty of experience with that part of the expression. Another chance my friends will classify as “not meant to be”, another guy whom they’ll dutifully say was “not good enough”. It’s an earnest attempt to twist a light dose of rejection into recovery and empowerment. Really, my friends just don’t want to hear me whine again. (If my passwords to dating sites suddenly stop working, I suspect it will be my friends, not Russia, who meddled!)

It’s the “easy come” part that doesn’t ring true. First dates don’t come easy at all and second dates, well, sometimes it seems I’d have better luck encountering a unicorn on a forest run. Never thought I’d be quoting Ringo Starr, but “it don’t come easy” at all.

So it’s back to the dating sites and maybe a different kind of online site. I wonder how much a child’s chemistry kit costs. Lifelong learning with a purpose. Small steps.

No comments: