Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Dangers of the Big City

I'm in Vancouver for four days attending a conference at the airport. It's peculiar living at an airport, but that's another story. 

Leaving my peaceful rural setting and returning to the big city can be dangerous. Yes, I am well aware of the reports of crime, pollution and nasty catfights between mayoral candidates. I still have a subscription to the Vancouver Sun (although it's been a major adjustment trying to save at least a cup of coffee in the pot until the morning paper arrives just before noon). 

The dangers for me are more personal. On the ferry ride over, I started planning my shopping stops. What did I need? What did I want? What might I buy for no justifiable reason whatsoever? I was getting very excited. 

In four hours in the city, I dropped $700. I felt I'd been robbed, but there was also a sense of pure elation. Did I really need new, hotel quality sheets for my bed? For the two dogs and me? It wasn't like there was anyone I had a shot of impressing. Didn't matter. Swipe that credit card! And why four Nike t-shirts, same style, different colors? My part of the world doesn't carry Nike (or Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren or Hilfiger or any label other than what is sold in not one but TWO Mark's Warehouse stores--yech!). 

Don't think; just buy! 

Socks, undies, shorts, more shirts. 

The temptations in the big city are great. I succumbed. 

And I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: