Tuesday, August 13, 2024

A BUNT IN RESPONSE TO HOMOPHOBIA IN BASEBALL


So another highly paid jock gets caught using the F word. 

 

Faggot.

 

Double score for two F words.

 

“Shut up, you f#*%g faggot.”

 

I’m gay. I can use faggot. I can own it. I can repossess it from those who weaponized it to belittle, mock and humiliate.

 

Names will sometimes hurt me. 

 


In this case, the speaker was twenty-seven-year-old Boston Red Sox All-Star outfielder Jarren Duran, born and raised in California, most of his time growing up in Orange County. I provide his age because, by then, he’s supposed to have impulse control. I indicate where he grew up because, it’s a wealthier part of California with a lot of conservatives, causing it to lean red. But, still, it’s in f#%g California.

 

He should know better. Of course, he should.

 

The game was broadcast and his comment was heard while he was at bat. The words were directed to a fan. The choice words make me think it wasn’t a Red Sox fan. 

 

CHOICE words. Athletes are heckled all the time. Heck, they heckle one another. They know how to react and not react. 

 

His apology, not spoken, but delivered via the Red Sox powers that be:

During tonight’s game, I used a truly horrific word

when responding to a fan. I feel awful knowing how

many people I offended and disappointed. I apologize

to the entire Red Sox organization, but more

importantly to the entire LGBTQ community.

 

Our young fans are supposed to be able to look up 

to me as a role model, but tonight I fell far short of

that responsibility. I will use this opportunity to 

educate myself and my teammates and to grow 

as a person.

 

Yeah, sure. His words. 

 


“A truly horrific word.” Agreed. But I suspect he’s long embraced it. Never a problem. Got away with it. Probably got some laughs from his buds. 

 

“I feel awful.” Doubt it. Mad, probably. He got caught and now he’s serving a two-game suspension without pay. A slight ding to his bank account. The regular season is 162 games. His suspension equates to 1.2% of the season. 

 

“Young fans are supposed to be able to look up to me…” That statement unsettles my stomach. Not quite nausea. I’m too familiar we live in a society that idolizes jocks for nothing more than how they swing a bat or catch a football. One’s athleticism doesn’t necessarily align with intelligence, thoughtfulness, kindness or general goodness. Hitting home runs and catching pop flies should not be on the list of what makes a hero. When will we stop attributing hero status to skilled athletes as a default? 

 


I rolled my eyes when I first read the CNN headline. A jock uses a homophobic slur. I wasn’t going to click. This was not news in the sense of it being new. I checked the website the Advocate. Not a mention. Gays have been mocked by (some) jocks their whole lives. But the jocks-as-heroes concept peeves me so, yeah, I clicked. This is a perfect example as to why that status must be earned. 

 

“I will use this opportunity to educate…my teammates.” Um, please don’t. This is not a model mentor. What’s the lesson? If you say something homophobic, you lose pocket change and sit on a bench for eighteen innings. I don’t want Jarren Duran teaching anyone about LGBTQ respect and understanding. Yes, educate yourself, Mr. Duran. That’s enough.

 


I’m even irked the Boston Red Sox are donating Duran’s two days’ salary to PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians of Gays). It’s a worthy organization, but the harm from Duran’s statement is not directly to parents and friends. Giving the money to parents and friends seems like a bunt at best. The organization’s prepared statement for Duran apologized “to the entire LGBTQ community.” Why then didn’t the money get donated directly to a queer organization? The Trevor Project, for example, which works with LGBTQ+ youth who are feeling suicidal or in crisis, comes immediately to mind. The Matthew Shepard Foundation comes to mind as well. Maybe a local queer organization like the Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth. I think the Red Sox media relations team has its own learning to do as well.

 

Do better, Mr. Duran. Same for the team. The education of teammates should not come from its All-Star f#*k-up, but from professionals who can teach, not just better behavior, but better understanding.

 

 

 

No comments: