Monday, November 14, 2022

TOO MUCH GINGER (Part I)


I keep telling myself it’s the ginger.

 

I’ve been awake since 3:30 this morning, my stomach feeling like everything in that vicinity had a scrum with a cheese grater. For the next few hours, I shifted every which way, a pillow constantly readjusted to numb that feeling of having multiple organs sliced and diced. If I’d been more alert, I’d have gotten up and searched for the hot water bottle, but I have no idea what cupboard, box or drawer it’s been since my July move. I figured by the time I found it, I’d be too wide awake to fall back asleep. I suppose I was delusional, too. Falling back to sleep was never going to happen.

 

Since my boyfriend, Evan, and I live in different cities, we try to call each other before going to bed on the nights we’re apart. “I love you,” “Sweet dreams,” and whatnot. It’s possible there was too much whatnot in last night’s call.

 


But I did put an awful lot of ginger in the pumpkin pie I made on a whim yesterday evening. Three times what the recipe called for. A quick Google tells me ginger can lead to “heartburn, diarrhea, burping, and general stomach discomfort.” Okay. My side effect beats diarrhea. If I had any say in it, I’d have gone with burping though. Might have offered a flashback to my early teens when we made a game of chugging Barq’s root beer.

 


In five days, Evan and I are off on a three-week trip. Maybe it wasn’t the ginger or last night’s call. Earlier in the day, before Evan drove back to Seattle, we’d talked about packing. It’s going to be challenging for both of us. For Evan, that’s because he’s a clothes horse. While I care about what I wear, Evan takes it eight or nine levels beyond me. Every outfit is a fashion statement. There are layers and accessories. He’s the kind of person Bill Cunningham of The New York Times would have photographed if they’d crossed paths on the street in Manhattan. My packing concerns are more practical. Our trip begins in Colorado and Wyoming where temperatures will be below freezing with possible snow on the ground, but then we fly to Key West and Miami where temperatures will call for shorts and swimsuits. I need clothes for daily workouts as well, with what I wear for a run in northern Colorado differing radically from my beach jogs. All I have is a carry-on since my suitcase didn’t survive the ordeal of first being lost and then severely damaged when I went to Iceland and Sweden last spring. 

 


Three weeks of all-weather wear! I suppose I can fit in time to buy a suitcase today. If that means a better night’s sleep, it’s definitely worth the money I hadn’t wanted to spend. My stomach will be so relieved.  

 

My mind’s drifting back to yesterday’s pie. In my waking hours, there are times when I dream of making pumpkin pie. Usually, I put up enough resistance, but it’s such an easy dessert to make. I cheat with a ready-made crust so all I have to do is toss several ingredients in a blender, pour the liquid in the shell and stick it in the oven. Sometimes my daydreaming about pumpkin pie comes when I’m in the grocery store. It takes willpower to resist adding certain items to my basket. When canned pumpkin puree or sweetened condensed milk is on sale, I set aside willpower. I tell myself these are wise purchases. Huge savings! Dad would be proud.

 


But it’s not like I pull out the can opener as soon as I get home. I’ve got that bag of caramel popcorn (also on sale or at least twenty cents cheaper than at Safeway). It’s quicker to pig out on that instead. The canned goods go in the pantry; I forget about them. Societal norms dictate that pumpkin doesn’t even appear on the dining radar until the beginning of October since that’s when Thanksgiving is, at least in Canada. For some, pumpkin ideation begins a month earlier, but I don’t go to Starbucks anymore and, besides, I don’t want pumpkin coffee any more than I want banana bread. Stop playing with your food, people! 

 

It's possible that several ingredients in last night’s pumpkin pie expired long ago. The carton of egg whites was only five weeks out of date and I figured that any of its badness would be baked out after fifty minutes at 375 degrees. I keep missing Canadian Thanksgivings, including this year’s, due to travel so it’s quite possible both the canned pumpkin and the sweetened condensed milk were past prime, too. I didn’t want to look for stamped dates since pumpkin pie had risen to a must-have craving. The condensed milk was still its regular creamy color. Last time I opened one, it had turned a butterscotch hue, forcing me to trek to the store for something more current. (How do I go years between pumpkin pies and then find myself blindsided by the most urgent need to feast on one?) The pie shell had a “Best Before” some month in 2020 but that just seemed silly to consider. So, yes, maybe it was an ancient puree that upset my tummy. Or a combination of that, trip packing worries, too much ginger, stale graham cracker crumbs and egg whites gone green. I’d also been overly generous with the nutmeg and cloves. It’s not a COVID thing, but my taste buds have always needed extra everything to wake them up.

 


There’s also the fact that I may have eaten too much pie in one sitting. Actually, it wasn’t one sitting. Pumpkin pie became dinner, dessert, snack time and then the target of a fridge raid just before bed, the annoying beeping sound the door makes when it’s been open too long finally ending my extended grazing session. I swear there was still some pie in the tin when I turned in for the night. How much? That’s an awfully personal question. I’d rather disparage my intelligence and say I’ve always been bad at fractions. Two-thirds? One-fifth? What’s the diff?

 


Today I’ll just have to slog my way through, downing a few more oat milk lattes than usual. For the moment, the stomach is behaving. If I get a bad sleep tonight, I suppose too much coffee will be to blame. Surely none of this restlessness is due to the fact one week of my trip involves staying with Evan’s parents whom I haven’t met and all the hoopla leading up to our arrival which he mentioned on the phone last night…

 

No, no. It’s the ginger. Google already confirmed that. I’m overthinking this.

 

TO BE CONTINUED…

 

No comments: